Grow your own Avocado Plant
You'll be glad to know that you can use the seed from an avocado to grow your own tree. Here's how:
- Thoroughly wash your avocado seed.
- Secure toothpicks into the seed so that they sit out horizontally.
- Suspend the seed with the heavy side down over a glass of water. About 3cm of the seed should be sitting in water.
- Place the seed out of direct sunlight and top up the water as needed.
- In 2-6 weeks, roots and stem should start to sprout.
- When the stem is 15 to 18cm long, cut it back to about 8cm in length.
- When the stem has grown leaves again and the roots are thick, plant it in a pot with half the seed exposed
- Water the plant lightly and frequently, with an occasional deep soak. The soil should be moist but not saturated.
- Make sure it's getting plenty of sunlight.
- When the stem is 30cm long, cut it back to 15cm. This will encourage new shoots.
Now you should be well on your way to growing you own avocado tree.